Simplifying My Life

Written by Wally Amos

I am going through the process of cleaning out a bunch of stuff at my house.  I look forward to being free of all these possessions that I no longer need or have room to keep.  And in the big picture, I recognize that simplifying my life is nearly always a positive experience.  So, I am forging ahead with a pickup truck, a couple of strong friends and the map to the city dump.

            In my days as a talent agent, I got to know a lot of performers.  Tina Turner is a powerful force not only in music but also in life.  She and I have shared some similar experiences; she also had to go to court to fight for the right to retain her own name in business.  Tina has a wonderful way to explain how she got through that time:

            “Sometimes you’ve got to let everything go – purge yourself.  If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down,  GET RID OF IT.  Because you’ll find that when you’re free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.

            Sometimes we not only need to rid ourselves of our junk, we need to say goodbye to the old stuff and celebrate simplifying our lives – looking forward to whatever adventure lies ahead that will fill the empty space.
            American philosopher and teacher Joseph Campbell may have said it best:  “We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.  The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come.”

            Do you sometimes have a difficult time letting go of old stuff that has piled up?  Do you know down deep inside that you’re never really going to fix that old appliance?  Glue together that sugar bowl?  Re-use that Styrofoam packing material?

            Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment